Friday, September 30, 2011

Portobello Beach

Note: I forgot my camera today so I'm going to borrow other people's pictures!


Edinburgh might be on the water, but I never expected to enjoy a day at the beach. Luckily, a heat wave is hitting the UK. This is not the unbearable DC heat wave I am used to, but an Indian summer which means sun and breeze and shorts (though the Brits all wear tights under their shorts). Unluckily, it's ending soon.


Still, Molly, Alexander, Lane, Ben, and I headed to the beach to take advantage of the summer while it's here. Portobello is a suburb of the city and we were able to catch a bus outside David Horn and take it there. It's about 20 minutes past Leith, where I visited last Friday. 


First, we got got sandwiches and fish and ships on the main street and then headed in the direction of the water. It turned out there were real chippys (real fish and chips shops) on the water so the boys regretted getting their fish earlier. We settled down on the sand to enjoy our picnic.


This is a picture Alexander took:



It was about 70 degrees F, which meant it was gorgeous outside. People were swimming and playing on the beach. After eating, Molly, Lane, and I waded in the water. 

A picture from Molly's camera:


Little children and dogs were playing in the water. This is a picture Ben took:


After we put our shoes back on our sandy feet, the guys said they wanted to walk home. It was about 3 miles, so we decided to race: bus versus walking. The guys actually won by about ten minutes (I attribute this to an unplanned bus transfer). 

Maybe I'll have pictures of snow to post soon! Hopefully, not too soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment