Thursday, September 29, 2011

David Horn (My Accommodation)

I've mentioned David Horn a few times, but I haven't described the house I'm living in. When i had to request accommodations in March or April, I didn't know much about the city or campus. I chose David Horn as my top choice and got a spot in May.


Google Street View of David Horn


It was a little difficult to figure out how to get here from the airport, because it's actually 5 rowhouses pushed together and you can only enter from the center one. Inside the center one is a living room (common room), and beyond that is 3 kitchens and 2 dining rooms. There's also one laundry room. I live on the second floor of one of the houses at the end. I was in shock at how big my room was when I first got here, especially compared to how small some people's are. There's no standardization of rooms at all, and I ended up with one of the biggest, if not the biggest singles. A big part of that is how high the ceiling is. When I tried to take a picture, it was impossible to get both the floor and the ceiling in the frame. 


Every room comes with a desk (actually 2 desks), a wash basin, a twin bed, a wardrobe, a bedside table, a lamp, a set of shelves, and a phone which give you an internet connection. The rooms are either white or a peach that turns pink in the sun.

The view from the doorway:



The beds here are super short! My bed:


My wardrobe:


My HUGE window:


The tool to draw my curtains since the window is twice as tall as me:


The view from my window:


My shelves:


My wash basin:


I really love my room, but I have one small complaint. The hot and cold faucets are separate. When I complained about this to an English student, they said that was normal. 

Me: What if you want warm water?
English student: Use the hot faucet until it gets too hot.
Me: And cool water?
English student: Use the cold faucet until it gets too cold.

Unfortunately, it gets too hot or too cold in about ten seconds.



1 comment:

  1. Maya..this is Uncle Chris in faraway Michigan. for what it is worth re your complaint of the plumbing situation in Scotland (and the UK in general)< there is an old story that Winston Churchill was thoroughly impressed with America's faucet technology--turns out he was just enthralled with the faucet that allowed you to mix hot and cold water to your heart's content...just another example of American ingenuity in which you can take pride!..Love, Uncle Chris (in sunny Michigan)

    ReplyDelete