Sunday, September 11, 2011

Disaster Departure

Traveling was fairly hectic--from the airport to the cab ride. I finally finished packing around 5pm on Friday, a little over an hour before I had to leave for my flight. My mom and Neal drove me to the airport, where the first disaster struck. It turns out that my large suitcase was way too heavy--34kg instead of 23kg. After attempting to rearrange things, I gave up and paid the outrageous fee. My mom was pretty shocked at how much I packed, telling me that all she took for six months in France was a small suitcase.


Security and boarding were easy. For my last meal in the US, I got Five Guys, which seemed appropriate. Once I got on the plane, I was happy to have an aisle seat. While it was mostly an easy flight, I did not have the best neighbor. He seemed to have Restless Leg Syndrome compounded with a lack of respect for personal space. He kept asking the flight attendants for another blanket, which they didn't have. At the end of the flight, I had to sit there while he berated the head attendant for a good fifteen minutes. 


On the flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, I faced my first cultural challenge. I couldn't understand what the Scottish flight attendant was saying at all, so I just hoped it wasn't very important.


As soon as I stepped out of the Edinburgh airport, I was happy that I had packed so much. It was a blustery day. It turns out that it will be extremely windy for the next few days, so much that they asked us to keep the windows closed. Getting from the airport to my accommodation was quite a challenge. I did not have an exact address, just a street name. The street name actually changes every few blocks here, so it was easy to get the the area where Craigmillar Park was, but I couldn't tell the driver which house it was so we drove around a little. He lent me his phone so I could call to find out and it turned out we were right there. Once I got to the house, I gave him a generous tip. He kept trying to give it back, but I insisted. I later found out that it is not typical to tip cab drivers at all. The only place you should tip is restaurants, and that should be about 10% or less. 


The traveling has been the most stressful part of my experience so far. Moving, shopping, and Fresher's week area ll going well and I'll write more about all that soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maya.
    Good posting. Glad you got to your new home safely.

    I'll be checking in to see what's new.

    Love, Mum

    ReplyDelete