Monday, October 24, 2011

To The Theatre!

On Wednesday, October 12th, Molly, Lorrie, and I went to the Filmhouse. One of the UK phone providers, Orange, offers a buy one get one free deal on Wednesdays. Since Lorrie and Molly both have it, we decided to take advantage of it. We originally tried to see One Day or Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, both British films, but neither time worked. We ended up seeing Midnight in Paris, the new Woody Allen film. We each paid under three pounds because of the Orange discount and the student price, which might be the lowest amount I've spent on a movie ticket in my entire life.

The film was amazing! I saw it only three days after coming back in Paris so I was very excited to see Owen Wilson or Rachel McAdams walking around places I'd been. I felt like a little child whenever I recognized a location. 


All of the acting was great. Rachel McAdams seems to have out-bitched her performance in Mean Girls. I rarely like movies that involve time travel, but this was very artfully done.

That night, we noticed posters for the play "Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off" at the Lyceum Theater. It was coming up on it's closing weekend so we decided to go the next day. We'd heard good reviews and wanted to take advantage of the student ticket price.



The play was very good. I found the accents challenging, especially Mary's. She was raised in France, but spoke English with a Scottish accent. The actress was trying to imitate this, and it made her fairly hard to understand. The English accents for Elizabeth and those surrounding her were much easier to comprehend. The costumes and the set were possibly the most impressive part. I was not a fan of the ending, where the actors and actresses are suddenly in a modern day park setting. As I understood it, the idea was to compare Elizabethan politics to playground politics.  I thought the interpretation was too literal and disconnected from the rest of the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment